Thursday, September 8, 2016

September 2016 Newsletter

News from Barb Mowery Fine Art

Summer flew by in a flurry of family time and travel. But I was also busy getting paintings ready for my October exhibition in Solomons, MD. Read on…

Announcement for "Lost in the Woods" solo exhibition.
Lost in the Woods Solo Exhibition

I am very pleased to announce an upcoming solo exhibition of my paintings at the Calvert Library Southern Branch in Solomons, MD, from October 2-30, 2016. The Opening Reception is Thursday, October 6th, from 6-8pm, and I will deliver an Artist's Talk at 7pm. Hope to see you there!

Several years ago I decided to practice painting trees to improve my skills as a landscape painter. But once I began to carefully observe and make images of the woods, I discovered a Pandora’s box of questions about light and air and movement and memory. The paintings in this show are my attempt to answer those questions. They were made as a response to both the incredible natural beauty of Maryland and to my childhood memories.

Selfie with "Drinking Coffee in Peace" at the Plein Air show 
reception, Bishop's Stock Gallery, Snow Hill, MD. The painting 
is still available ($350)--contact Bishop's Stock to purchase.

Paint Snow Hill 2016

This was my 10th year plein air painting in Snow Hill, MD! I took my whole crew to Ocean City for the week, so there was plenty of time for family fun between early morning painting sessions and during the baby’s naps. On Wednesday I took Kirk McBride’s painting workshop. And on Thursday Josh Davis’ interview with me appeared in the Bayside Gazette. By Saturday I had eight finished paintings to show for my week. Two paintings sold and one stayed in Snow Hill for the Plein Air exhibition at Bishop’s Stock Gallery in May. A longer version of story is here.

Happy artists with their finished flower paintings!
Paint & Sip

I hosted a painting fundraiser for Grace United Church of Christ in May. We intended to paint poppies (for remembrance) since Memorial Day weekend was close at hand. But once we got painting, they grew and bloomed into all different varieties of flowers. Everyone had a great time, including me!

"Evergreen Evening" - 12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas panel, framed 2016, $500.

Can’t Make the Opening?

If you are unable to attend the reception but would like to come see the artwork sometime in October, I am glad to meet you at the library and give a personal tour of the exhibition. Please email me to schedule an appointment.

And if you would like to have my monthly newsletter delivered to you by email, you may subscribe here. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment