Monday, March 25, 2019

March 2019 Newsletter

The sunshine feels so good--I'm ready to paint outside again! The Artists in Action program was a great experience. I've got artwork hanging around town. I’m planning something different for April. And I just got invited to come to another artist residency. Read on…

This is a collage of photos of Barb Mowery participating in the Artists in Action program at Annmarie Garden in Maryland in 2019.

Artists in Action Residency

Last month I moved my art studio into the main gallery at Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center, in Dowell, MD, as part of the Artists in Action Program. I only had a week there, but I was amazingly productive during my brief stay. I used daytime source photos to create nighttime paintings. In cinema it’s a technique called “day for night," and it's a process American painter Frederic Remington used 100+ years ago to create his nocturnes. I met visiting artists from near and far and had fun talking with visitors about my experiments. Thank you to everyone who came to see me! (The 2 photos on the left are by Joann Foltz.)

Barb Mowery painting plein air in Snow Hill Maryland.

Commission Snow Hill

Sadly, 2018 was the 15th and final Paint Snow Hill annual plein air (outdoor) painting event. It was my 12th year! I am not quite ready to kick the habit. So I will be traveling to paint in and around Snow Hill, Maryland, in late April.

There's no 'Wet Paint' Show & Sale at the end of the weekend, so I am going to take on a maximum of three (3) commissioned paintings in Snow Hill this year. Full information about purchasing a commission is here. If you are interested, watch your inbox next week. And let me know if you have questions.

A suburban landscape painting by Barb Mowery of her neighbor's house and a wheel barrow.

Featured Artists at JPPM

During the month of March, the gift shop at Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum has expanded into a neighboring room (to the left of the gift shop), and I have 5 paintings in the exhibition. The shop at JPPM is full of beautiful artwork, crafts, and jewelry all made by Maryland artists. With Easter & Mother’s Day fast approaching, I guarantee that you’ll find something meaningful for the special women in your life there.



Salon des Refuses

I have 4 paintings in the current show at Annmarie Garden, Annmarie's Salon des Refuses, up through April 22nd. Here's a photo of me on opening night with one of my paintings: the colorful jumble in the upper right corner (photo by Pam Teague). And for more info on the show, follow this link. 

Nocturne painting by American artist Barb Mowery.

Lacawac Artists Residency 

I have just been invited to participate in the artists residency at Lacawac Sanctuary near Lake Ariel, PA, in August. There I will be continuing my investigation of nighttime painting and Frederic Remington. I'll share more on this as we get closer.

All Upcoming Events

Sign Up 

The most efficient way to find out about these goings-ons is to subscribe to my email list. If you are relying on social media to keep you posted, don't. Facebook and Instagram change their rules and algorithms all the time. To thank you for signing up, I will send you a 10% off coupon to use on your next purchase in my Etsy shop. Sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment