Friday, September 8, 2017

September 2017 Newsletter

News from Barb Mowery Fine Art

This month’s newsletter is an emotional rollercoaster: Hooray, there’s a few extra weeks to see my exhibition! Oh no, I withdrew from a painting event because life happened. And I sincerely invite you to come to Solomons in 2 weeks for a charity painting event. Read on…


Close to Home Exhibition

Last week my show at Bishop’s Stock closed, and I’m sending my heartfelt thanks to everyone who came to see it. I am especially grateful that several paintings went off to new homes. Thank you, collectors! As if the honor of showing there isn’t enough, the gallery asked to keep 10 of my suburban landscape paintings hanging this month alongside the September show. Of course I said, “Yes!” If you stop by the gallery this month, you will find my work near the wine (& perhaps in the loo!).

But the real treat is the exhibition of paintings by Christie Taylor and Fred Sprock. Both artists have a lifetime of learning, observation, and creative practice in their wheelhouse and the vitality to use it to its full potential. Linguist and anthropologist Mary Catherine Bateson described this phase of living and working as “active wisdom.” You will see their intrepid, quiet confidence at the gallery this month.


Chincoteague Plein Air

I should be painting in Chincoteague, VA, right now. But life happened. My 6 year old has had a tough time with my husband’s work travel this year, and this week NOAA sent him off to prepare for hurricane Irma. Although we worked out several days of childcare, both of us traveling would unfairly double our daughter’s anxiety. So I withdrew from Chincoteague Plein Air. While I was looking forward to the painting trip, I’m not as disappointed as I expected. I am where I need to be.

I’ve been watching FaceBook and have seen some of the terrific paintings artists are creating there. If you’re in the neighborhood, the Plein Air Art Show is tomorrow, Saturday, September 9th, 6-9pm, at the United Methodist Social Hall on Church Street.


Solomons Paint the Town

There is more fun around the corner for artists and spectators alike. Part of the Solomons Plein Air Festival is a charity event called Paint the Town for a Cause.

Art lovers can watch artists working along the length of the Solomons boardwalk, enjoy a crab cake, and even take home a favorite painting. Artists of all ages and experience can participate for FREE and compete for prizes and bragging rights.

The event is Saturday, September 23rd, 9am-1pm, in Solomons, MD. Proceeds support 6 local Southern Maryland charities. I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday. More info & the registration form for artists is here.

And if you would like my newsletter conveniently delivered right to your inbox each month, subscribe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment