Saturday, August 12, 2017

August 2017 Newsletter

News from Barb Mowery Fine Art

In which the show at Bishop’s Stock opens, I give you the inside scoop on my suburban landscape series, and I take you on a quick video tour. Read on…

Gobsmacked

I sat down to write this newsletter more than once this week, but all I got done was the sitting part. I am dazed and delighted by the reaction to the show.  Over 100 people came to Bishop’s Stock on First Friday to support Carole Peirson and me.  I had so many lovely conversations around the oyster shucking table. And as of this moment, several people bought paintings. Thank you!!!


About ‘Close to Home’

The scenes in this series are all within walking distance of my home. They are a snapshot of a time when my children are small and the orbit of my life is equally small. The result is a very personal project, which I intend to continue until I’ve made 50 paintings of my neighborhood.

However, the work is not all about the subject matter. Someone at the reception asked me if my neighbors would recognize their houses. Probably not--because I have been using this project to consider whether correct values (light & dark) are more important than accurate colors. And, if they are, how far can I push the color before a painting falls apart?

Video Tour



If you have not had a chance to stop by the gallery, here is a quick tour of the show.

The exhibition continues through August 30th at Bishop's Stock Fine Art, Craft & Wine in Snow Hill, MD. Please direct all purchase inquiries to the gallery (410-632-3555).

And if you would like my newsletter conveniently delivered right to your inbox each month, subscribe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment