Saturday, April 22, 2017

They Should Be Home By Now


"They Should Be Home By Now" - by Lynne Lockhart, oil on canvas, 16 x 20 inches, $2400.

This is my favorite painting from Lynne & Kirk's spring exhibition. First, it looks just a dog I grew up with called Sandy who was a Red Heeler mix with a serious attitude problem. I loved that ornery old dog.

Second, for me as a painter looking at Lynne's paintings, they are always daring and masterful in a way that sort of takes my breath away. Take a close look at that electric line, how it's almost black where it meets the house, then disappears into the mid-tone of the sky, and is nearly white where it catches the reflection of the late day sun in the top right corner. I love how Lynne lets the entire left edge of the dog get lost among the shadows of the trees. And the expression on the waiting dog's face...that kills me.

To take a peek at all of the paintings in this exhibition, cruise on over to the Bishop's Stock FaceBook page (HERE) where Ann Coates has put together some albums, videos, and slide shows of the work. But really, you should go see them in person. As always the work is thrilling, graceful, smart, and funny.

New work by Lynne Lockhart & Kirk McBride
Showing now through May 3rd at Bishop's Stock Gallery
202 West Green Street, Snow Hill, Maryland
410-632-3555


No comments:

Post a Comment