Saturday, December 23, 2017

30 Paintings in 30 Days: Indirect Observation

"One is always working from memory but with notes." - Stuart Shils

Once again I am ringing in the New Year with a 30 paintings in 30 days challenge. You may follow my progress right here or on Facebook or on Instagram.

THE CHALLENGE:

This time I am taking up an exercise that Robert Henri laid out in “The Art Spirit.”

Henri writes, “I have often thought of an art school where the model might hold the pose in one room and the work might be done in another. The pupils would have their places in both rooms, one for observation and the other for work. The pupil could return to the model room for information. In getting the information he could view the model from his place or could walk about and get an all-around concept; he could also make any sketches he might desire to make—for information—but these drawings are not to be carried into the work room. Into this room he only carries what he knows.”

This sounds like an excellent and difficult challenge to me. My memory muscles are going to get a real workout. I did a practice round with flowers as my models, so I could show you what the process looks like.


Here are chrysanthemums in a small bottle on the kitchen windowsill. I look at them.


And I make a thumbnail sketch to work out composition and values. Then I leave the sketchbook in the kitchen with the flowers and head into the studio.


I start painting on a 6 x 6 inches birch panel.


When I need to check my model or my sketch, I return to the kitchen to make further observations. This involves climbing a flight of stairs, so light exercise is an added bonus.


About an hour later I have a finished painting. If past experience holds true, some will be great and some will flop. But spending a month working in this manner will definitely improve both my powers of observation and my memory.

Also please note that all of the titles will come from my iPod playlist. I will award you bragging rights if you can name that tune!

I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS:

In January I will be working alongside my colleagues in Artists Working Group International. AWGI is made up of like-minded visual artists who became friends during an art workshop in 2017. Our members hail from the United States and Great Britain and work in a variety of styles and mediums. We do not have a secret handshake. Yet. You can follow what all of us are working on for 30-in-30 on the AWGI blog.

TO PURCHASE:

All of my 30-in-30 paintings will be offered for sale through the end of February for $100 each, unframed. That’s a discount of 42.9% off the regular $175 for this size. To purchase a painting, head over to my Etsy shop. The 30-in-30 paintings will be in the *SALE* section.

SHIPPING INFO:

Within the United States I send my paintings via USPS Priority Mail with full insurance, and those costs are included in your purchase price. If you are outside of the continental United States, I will calculate your shipping and invoice you for the international shipping costs. You are responsible for any customs fees.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment