Sunday, March 10, 2019

In Defense of Joining a Mailing List


[Originally posted to Facebook on March 10, 2019.]

Facebook is an enormous, faceless, fickle beast. I write to you now at the mercy of an algorithm--an algorithm that will discern my intention to reach out to my people and draw them away from Facebook. And so it will grind this post under its electronic heel. This post will reach 23 people, if I am lucky.

You who have "liked" my art business page and may be interested in whatever nonsense I'm getting up to this week, YOU are unlikely to see this message. And as soon as the algorithm deduces that what I am communicating is important or timely, it will demand that I pay an advertising premium. My message is a hostage from my people unless I pay the ransom. Often I do pay for ads here, and I really do not mind a few dollars insuring my message makes it to your eyes.

But this system is tiresome. I created this "business page" on Facebook, but I do not own it. I'm not sure I even own the images of my paintings that are posted here anymore. Facebook changes the rules frequently and without warning. How long until Facebook becomes MySpace? (My husband says, "What is MySpace?")

If Facebook is the primary way that you are receiving information about my artwork, events, and sales--and that is information you would like to continue to receive--then that is a problem for both of us. It is as though a big net is hung between us, between you and the information you are interested in. I urge you to please consider cutting out the middle man.

Below is the link with which to sign up for my direct mailing list. As a thank you for subscribing, I will give you a 10% off coupon to use on your first purchase in my Etsy shop.

SUBSCRIBE

Thank you,
Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment