Friday, February 8, 2019

February 2019 Newsletter


Artists in Action Residency
I have moved my art studio into the main gallery at Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center, in Dowell, MD, as part of the Artists in Action Program. I will be in residency there all day every day through Monday, February 11th. All week I will be using daytime source photos to create nighttime paintings. In cinema it’s a technique called “day for night.” Filmmakers often shoot at dawn or dusk and change the exposure or add a filter to simulate night because it’s much easier than filming in the dark. Come watch me paint, and I’ll tell you about American painter Frederic Remington and put you to work on a fun coloring challenge. (The above photo is by Joann Foltz.)


Winter Abstracts
I am honored to have 3 of my collage pieces in the Winter Abstracts show at Bishop’s Stock Fine Art, Craft & Wine in Snow Hill, MD. The show is already underway and continues through the end of February. The gallery also has several of my small flower paintings—all you have to do is ask.


30 Days of Dogs
In January made daily images using hand-painted papers, found papers, and magazines, and I focused on something near and dear to my heart: pet dogs. You can watch a short video of all of the collages here. My 30 Days of Dogs project was a way to observe and cherish my own elderly lab mix. Pets simply do not live long enough, especially considering how much space they occupy in our hearts. Working in collage for this series and using bits of ephemera for the images seemed appropriate. The work is neither precious nor archival. It can be loved and enjoyed for a time, and then it, too, will pass on. Thus, my lighthearted, playful artwork about dogs is also about love and mortality. Thank you for following along!  Several of the images are still available in my Etsy shop.


Coffee Mugs
I am the tiniest bit addicted (that’s such a harsh word) to coffee. If you, too, enjoy warm beverages, I designed a few mugs and put them in the shop. Available in 11 oz. and 15 oz. Personally, I always order a large.

P.S. -- Really, you should consider subscribing to my mailing list to guarantee that this news and info is delivered directly to you in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment