Thursday, September 1, 2005

Working in a series

Cliffs of Moher 1

My husband's parents wanted me to create a painting to commemorate their first trip to Ireland. I looked through their mountain of vacation photos and was quite taken by the Cliffs of Moher. I, myself, have not been to Ireland, so I only had their photographs and descriptions to inform my paintings. I created this series of paintings to explore several different variations on the scene.

Cliffs of Moher 2

Cliffs of Moher 3

We selected this third painting as their Christmas gift this year because it prominently features a lonely watchtower.

Cliffs of Moher 4

Cliffs of Moher 5

I worked on all five paintings at the same time, so the color palettes are very unified. This was my first time experimenting with outlining in ultramarine blue--I thought that black would be too harsh for these scenes. If I try outlining in a different color again, it will not be with ultramarine blue. It is too transparent, and consequently made my already labor-intensive method of work more laborious than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment